Header Ad

Indiana’s new cellphone ban begins Wednesday — the same day I start hiding my iPhones from view while driving

I pulled up to the stoplight and instinctively pulled out my iPhone. Both iPhones actually, my personal one and my work one.
Were there any work-related emails that I need to address immediately? Any texts from family members that I should respond to sooner than later? Any social media messages from readers that I should earmark for a courteous reply? Oh, and was it expected to rain on my outdoor interview later in the day?
I glanced down at my phones while repeatedly glancing up at the stoplight, waiting for it change from red to green. Have you ever done this? Some delayed stoplights, which once tested my patience, now allow me to check my mobile devices in a matter of seconds. I’m efficient with my time to a fault, even if it involves breaking the law.
This public admission leads to a confession: I’ve probably sent more texts, emails, and social media messages while waiting at stoplights than any other Hoosier. It’s a bad habit that I’ve done for many years, likely since I had my first flip phone and kept it wedged underneath my leg while driving.
This habit may have to stop, beginning Wednesday, when a new Indiana law will prohibit drivers holding mobile devices in their hands while driving, with the exception of using voice-operated or hands-free technology, such as speakerphone. Or to call 911 for an emergency.
Beginning July 1, a new Indiana law will prohibit drivers holding mobile devices in their hands while driving, with the exception of using voice-operated or hands-free technology, such as speakerphone. Or to call 911 for an emergency. (Alex Garcia / MCT)
“As drivers, we all have a responsibility to our fellow Hoosiers to limit eye and hand distractions that can result in tragic injuries and deaths,” Indiana Gov. Holcomb said in a statement released Monday. “This law is about protecting those who travel our roads and those who build and maintain them by preventing as many crashes as possible through smart education and enforcement.”
Indiana Department of Transportation Commissioner Joe McGuinness added, “The Hands Free While Driving law will save lives by reducing the number of senseless crashes that happen as a result of distracted driving.”
I agree this new law will prevent countless crashes, injuries and eventual fatalities. I do wonder, though, how much of this law is more about smart education and less about enforcement. Don’t cops these days have enough to worry about other than millions of motorists driving while clutching a mobile device?
I bicycle almost daily for exercise and local errands. One of my favorite things to do while biking is noticing how many motorists hold their phone, and use it, while driving at every speed. I’ve had to dodge a few of these drivers who were oblivious to my whereabouts on the road, at intersections, and especially at stop signs.
I don’t curse at them, or raise my fist in anger. I simply shake my head. They know better. And so do I when I’m driving and holding or using my phone. Or phones.
Columnist Jerry Davich writes that in some rare instances, he has held two iPhones while driving – his personal phone to interview a source for a column, and his work phone to record the conversation. (Jerry Davich / Post-Tribune)
In some rare instances, I’ve held two iPhones while driving – my personal phone to interview a source for a column, and my work phone to record our conversation. Both phones fit snugly into my right hand. It’s no more dangerous than holding only one phone. But I now wonder if I could receive a double fine for such infractions. If, that is, a police officer notices or cares enough to pull me over.
“Nothing on your phone or tablet justifies taking your focus off the road and putting lives at risk,” Indiana State Police Superintendent Doug Carter said in a press release issued Monday. “Our mission is to educate drivers on the dangers of distracted driving and enforce the hands free while driving law to get every person traveling and working on our roads home safely.”
During the first few months with the “Hands Free While Driving” law in effect, Indiana State Police will focus on educating drivers on the new law and safety benefits of going hands free, Carter said. However, following the initial education campaign, drivers found in violation of the hands-free-while-driving law can be subject to fine. Beginning in July, 2021, drivers may also have points assessed against their driver’s licenses for violating the law.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the 22 states that have passed hands-free driving laws have seen a nearly 20 percent decrease in traffic deaths in the two years after passing the law. Illinois is one of these states, something I keep in mind when driving to Chicago or across the state line.
In Indiana, legislation for this new law was overwhelmingly approved by Hoosier lawmakers, including Northwest Indiana legislators. (For more information, visit www.HandsFreeIndiana.com.)
A bill board that encourages people not to text while they drive is shown in the northside of Indianapolis, Thursday, Sept. 17, 2009. Indiana drivers under age 18 are banned from using a cell phone while driving. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy) ORG XMIT: INMC101 ORG XMIT: CHI0909171009036234 (Michael Conroy / Associated Press)
Similar to wearing a seatbelt, this new law will force me to change my driving habits to avoid violations, and hopefully avoid distracted driving through my smartphone addiction. I seem to keep it as close as a Wild West gunslinger and his six-shooter, without a holster of course. Those are for dweebs.
I wish my 2004 Monte Carlo had Bluetooth capabilities to connect my iPhones for hands-free driving. Someday I look forward to having a newer vehicle with such factory-installed capabilities. In the meantime, I’ll keep driving old “Betsy,” which is practically on life support with 300,000 miles, according to my mechanic.
While driving her, I don’t smoke, I don’t drink booze, I don’t fidget with radio buttons and I don’t keep looking at myself in the rear-view mirror, as I notice many drivers do. However, I’m guilty as charged, your honor, on eating carryout meals in between errands and appointments. This bad habit is my longest-running distraction while driving, dating back to my teenage years.
Cellphones are much more dangerous while behind the wheel. My appetite to use them never gets quenched. Starting Wednesday, this will have to change for most Hoosiers, including the state’s most notorious violator, me.

Post a Comment

0 Comments